Surviving in the modern-day competitive market requires manufacturers to keep up with all the latest technologies to enhance the efficiency of their processes. However, manufacturing companies of different scales are all more or less familiar with CNC machining. This is mainly because Computer Numeric Control (CNC) technology is not very recent and has been around for a long time.
But what really is the scale of impact of CNC machining on modern-day manufacturing? Let’s find out.
Computer Numeric Control (CNC) machining is a simple automated manufacturing process that leverages the subtractive method to remove layers from material to give a workpiece a desired shape and structure.
CNC machines only require a simple program with different sets of instructions for the machine to perform a particular task. With this program, the machine can automatically stipulate the speed, position, and movement of the machine to give the workpiece the desired shape.
Therefore, even CNC machines such as used CNC machines by Prestige Equipment can seamlessly automate machining jobs with enhanced precision, and efficiency making is perfectly suitable for high-volume production.
The increase in competition in the modern-day business environment has driven many manufacturers to adopt CNC machining. CNC machines are the tooling of choice for manufacturers mainly because of the enhanced benefits offered by these machines.
The numbers suggest that the worth of CNC machines around the world was $70 billion in 2018, and predictions say that this value will grow at a rate of 6.8% in the next six years and reach a staggering worth of $111 billion by 2026.
The involvement of CNC machines in manufacturing is increasing at a very fast pace. Benefits such as reduced operating costs, elimination of human errors, effective use of the workforce of an organization, seamless integration with the latest technologies such as predictive analysis and the Internet of Things make CNC machines the go-to choice for manufacturers. The enhanced capabilities of these machines are now attracting small-scale manufacturers with used CNC machines for sale from industrial liquidation auctions that provide these machines at affordable prices.
The number of benefits derived from CNC machining are endless. Therefore, let us take a look at some of the most obvious benefits.
- Reduced Operating Costs And Enhanced Efficiency: Manufacturers using CNC machines can deliver different components with great precision. This is caused mainly due to the rise in the use of computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) in product designing and prototyping. CNC machines are perfect for producing products in huge volume with reduced operating costs and enhanced efficiency.
Furthermore, a manufacturer enjoys enhanced revenue as they can increase the capability of the entire organization with CNC machines. The precision offered by CNC machines is of great use to the manufacturers as it allows them to work with different types of materials without any complication.
- Speed: Earlier, manufacturing used to be a time consuming process before the invention of CNC machining. Operations such as controlling drills, mills, routers, and lathes, would require individual operators, making it a labor intensive job as well. The operators would read the requirements and determine the most suitable way to create different features on the workpiece. Infact, carving a complex feature would require the workpiece to be reoriented or remounted manually.
However, all of that changed with the advent of CNC technology as CNC machines can now directly read the CAD files and automatically execute the necessary machining. In addition, CNC machines are now equipped with heads and tables used to reorient tools and parts without unmounting any parts. Therefore, instead of manually controlling each step involved in the process, operators can simply program the CNC machine to interpret the CAD files.
- Enhanced Quality and Automation: The enhanced accuracy and precision offered by CNC machines are far better than any other machine. CNC machines make it very easy to perform diagonal cuts and create complex shapes such as curves. Manufacturers are now investing more and more into the development of different smart tools and other automation technology such as RPA to streamline the process of manufacturing.
Furthermore, advanced technology such as the internet of things is being combined with CNC to enhance safety, innovation, and the organization’s overall productivity. Not only this, but manufacturers are now combining predictive technology with CNC to reduce the downtimes caused by repairs and keep the manufacturing process running without interruption.
- Prototyping Machining: Prototyping is one of the essential aspects of the manufacturing sector. This helps the manufacturers to detect mistakes and take measures to enhance the production process. Nevertheless, many manufacturers still skip prototyping as the process requires a lot of time and money.
But with the help of CNC machines, today, prototyping is far more affordable and easier to attain. Businesses can now seamlessly create prototypes and get a better idea of the steps involved in the process. In addition, CNC technology has enabled manufacturers to incorporate more comprehensive designs into their products.
- Convenience: As we all know by now, CNC machines make the process of manufacturing far more efficient and time-efficient as it eliminates the requirement of manual work. The automated approach of CNC machining helps manufacturers enhance their efficiency while also eliminating any chances of encountering any human errors.
Furthermore, unlike humans, CNC machines do not require any break enabling the manufacturer to reap the benefits of continuous production without any hassle. People often tend to think that CNC automation will replace them; however, in reality, CNC machines will empower the employees and make their work more enjoyable.
Businesses worldwide have realized the potential of digitization and quickly implement new solutions and machinery to enhance efficiency and productivity. Leveraging the enhanced capabilities of CNC machining can help a business get an edge over the competitors and simultaneously enhance the business’s revenue.
In addition, the sustainable properties of CNC machining produce little to no waste or emission as these machines require minimum additional materials. Today, even small-scale and budding manufacturers can get their CNC machines at affordable prices from Prestige Equipment’s industrial auctions.